Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Alligator Gorge

My mom and I took the kids to Alligator Gorge the first weekend in April. It was a bit overcast and rained a bit but the temperature was perfect for a hike. This place was recommended by Miles teacher so we drove the 40 minutes and weren't disappointed!

This is my mom on the stairs. We think there were probably 200 steps or more and I had Izzy on my back! It wasn't really that bad on the way down but we didn't know which way the trail went so had to turn around and backtrack back up the stairs.

This area was called the Terraces. It used to be sand that was packed down under layers of sand and over a long time it became quartzite rock. All my third graders should know a little something about that! Some of it looked exactly like the rocks we looked at in class!

We had a great day and Miles impressed us with his hiking skills and love of being in nature. My back was sore for two days but it was worth it! Our next adventure is to the east coast to visit the reef and surfer's paradise.

No comments:

Post a Comment